Magnolia Cemetery, about 1 mi. n. just off US 52 on the banks of the Cooper River, at 70 Cunnington Ave., was established in 1849. Among its numerous ornate grave sites are those of South Carolina soldiers who died at Gettysburg as well as the crew from H.L. Hunley. Confederate Memorial Day services include a reading of Henry Timrod's ode, “Magnolia Cemetery,” written for the first service in 1866.