The Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon

122 E. Bay St.
Charleston, SC 29401- Map It
(843) 727-2165

AAA Editor Notes

The Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, 122 E. Bay St. at jct. Broad St., was built by the British in 1771 as the Royal Exchange and Customs House for the prosperous city of Charles Towne. It was in the Great Hall that South Carolina ratified the Constitution in 1788 and entertained President George Washington in 1791. In the cellar where the British imprisoned prominent Patriots during the American Revolution, costumed docents relate events important to early Charles Towne and the fledgling nation. Additional historical exhibits can be seen throughout other parts of the building. Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.
$10; $5 (ages 7-12).
Hours: Daily 9-5. Closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Christmas.