AAA Editor Notes
Fort Moultrie is on Sullivan's Island at 1214 Middle St., reached via US 17 and SR 703. A military post for more than 170 years, the fort was the site of one of the first American victories of the Revolutionary War. The outnumbered Colonial garrison withstood bombardment by the British navy, whose shells were absorbed by the spongy palmetto log and sand defenses. Less than a century later the fort played a role during the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter.
A visitor center houses exhibits and shows a 20-minute film.
Picnicking is permitted.