Colonial Dorchester State Historic Site, 300 State Park Rd., preserves the remnants of the former community of Dorchester, which was settled in 1697 by a small group of Congregationalists from Dorchester, Mass. Most moved to Midway, Ga., in the 1750s, and the village ultimately was destroyed by retreating British soldiers in 1781. Ruins of a fort and the bell tower of St. George's Church are all that remain.
A visitor center is on the grounds. Walking trails are offered. Archeological excavations and other hands-on educational programs are offered on weekends.