Pickler Mansion is 6 blks. s. of US 212 on 8th Ave. to VFW Rd. The late 19th-century prairie Victorian mansion, nicknamed “The Pink Castle” for its exterior color, was built in stages between 1882 and 1894. The 20 rooms include a secret room used for shelter during Native American attacks and severe storms, and a music room with hand-carved woodwork. Several rooms and the front porch have been restored.