AAA Editor Notes
The Heritage Center is 4 mi. n. on US 18 at the Red Cloud Indian School. The center is housed in an 1888 school building built by Jesuit missionaries and local Lakota craftsmen. Oglala Lakota children are still educated at the school. The grave of Chief Red Cloud, the Oglala Lakota chief who invited the Jesuits and the Franciscan Sisters to assist in the establishment of the school, is in the cemetery overlooking the facility.
The center hosts the Red Cloud Indian Art Show, which runs from early June to early August. Themed exhibits of Native American fine arts are displayed in the center's gallery throughout the year. Visitors also can view a Lakota-inspired church that replaced the 1898 church, which was destroyed by fire in 1996. Guided tours of the campus and the 1888 building are available in the summer season.