AAA Editor Notes
Fort Charlotte is on Berkshire Hill west of town. Completed by the British in 1806, the fortification perches 600 feet (183 m) above the city. The fort ruins afford a commanding view of the harbor and the Grenadines. Mounted guns face inland, not out to sea, evidence of the struggle for possession among the British, French and Carib Indians. Paintings that trace the island's history are in the old officers' quarters, now a museum.