Historic Carnton Plantation and McGavock Confederate Cemetery is at 1345 Eastern Flank Cir. Confederate troops assembled on the property during the Battle of Franklin, a bloody 5-hour skirmish occurring on Nov. 30, 1864. The wounded and dying were brought to Carnton, which served as a field hospital. Adjacent to this elegant estate owners John and Carrie McGavock established a 1,500-grave cemetery. The 2005 novel “The Widow of the South” is based on the life of Mrs. McGavock. Specialty tours also are offered.
Guided tours are available.