Rocky Mount is s.w. on US 11E to 200 Hyder Hill Rd. The log farmhouse served as the capitol of the Territory of the United States South of the Ohio River when President George Washington appointed William Blount as the territorial governor in 1790. The site was Blount's center for state affairs until a new capitol was built at Knoxville in 1792.
Rocky Mount, built 1770-72, has been restored to its original appearance. Costumed guides portray members of the Cobb family, who first settled in Rocky Mount, and conduct living-history tours explaining the many original furnishings in the main building; they also demonstrate pioneer crafts and skills in the kitchen, weaving cabin, barn and blacksmith shop.
A museum and visitor center depicts the history of eastern Tennessee, with emphasis on the period 1763-1880.