AAA Editor Notes
Fort McKavett State Historic Site is 17 mi. w. on US 190, then 6 mi. s. to 7066 FM 864. The 80-acre site preserves the remains of Camp San Saba, established in 1852 to protect frontier settlers and travelers on the El Paso Road. Later named for an army captain, the fort was described by Gen. William T. Sherman as “the prettiest post in Texas.” Two dozen limestone buildings have been restored; a museum features photographs, dioramas and artifacts.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.