AAA Editor Notes
Fort Richardson State Historic Site is 1 mi. s. off US 281. Built in 1867, the fort was the northernmost in a chain of U.S. Cavalry posts used to halt Native American raids and to guard the Overland-Butterfield mail route. The fort was abandoned in 1878. Present-day Fort Richardson State Historic Site's 485 acres contain seven original and two replica buildings as well as picnic and camping facilities.
Guided tours are available. Pets on leash are allowed. Camping is permitted. Picnicking is permitted.