King Ranch Headquarters is w. off SR 141. In 1853 Capt. Richard King purchased the 15,500-acre Rincon de Santa Gertrudis Land Grant and stocked his ranch with longhorn cattle. Climate conditions and a demand for more flavorful and tender beef resulted in the creation of the Santa Gertrudis—the first beef cattle breed developed in the Western Hemisphere in more than 100 years. Today the ranch comprises 825,000 acres and offers a 90-minute narrated tour that focuses on its history and agricultural operations. A variety of nature tours also are offered.</br>Guided tours are available.</br>
$20; $15 (ages 65+ and students and military with ID); $6 (ages 5-12).
Hours: History and agriculture tours depart Mon.-Sat. at 10, noon and 2, Sun. at 12:30 and 2:30, late Jan.-Apr. 1; Wed.-Sat. at 11 and 1, rest of year. Nature tours depart Oct.-June; phone ahead to confirm schedule. Closed major holidays.