Varner-Hogg Plantation State Historic Site is 1 mi. n.e. off SR 35 at 1702 N. 13th St. (FM 2852). The property's first owner, Martin Varner, received a land grant from Stephen F. Austin in 1824. Later a sugar plantation, the estate was purchased by Gov. James S. Hogg in 1901. The 66-acre site includes the 1836 plantation manor, outbuildings, sugar mill ruins and pecan orchards.
Guided tours of the mansion are available.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.