Fort Charlotte is 1 mi. (1.6 km) w. on W. Bay St. at Marcus Bethel Way. One of the largest forts in The Bahamas, the military installation commanded the western entrance to the harbor. Lord Dunmore, the British Governor of The Bahamas 1787-96, built the fort 1787-89 and named it for the wife of George III. The fort never fired a shot in hostility. Tours of the dungeon, which features corridors cut out of solid rock, are conducted by guides who provide historical information about the fort. To the east of Fort Charlotte is the original guardhouse.