AAA Editor Notes
Red House is on Abercromby Street opposite Woodford Square. The handsome building once housed the legislative council and other government agencies. The building also serves as the seat of the nation's parliament. The main chamber is noted for its ornate gesso ceiling, which was created in England, shipped in panels and installed by an Italian craftsman in 1906. An eternal flame symbolizing “the need to be ever vigilant in the protection of democracy” burns on the eastern lawn atop a marble cenotaph.
Guided tours are offered by appointment. Note: In 2011, parliament was relocated to the new International Waterfront to accommodate renovation works on the building. Restoration is expected to be complete by late 2016.
Guided tours are available.