Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine is just w. of jct. SR 111 and West 11800 South St., off Kennecott Access Rd. Mining began here in 1906 in what was to become one of the largest open-pit mines in the world. The mine provides 15 percent of the nation's copper needs for medicine, food and technology. The terraced pit is three-quarters of a mile deep and about 2.5 miles wide; the working area covers 1,900 acres.
Note: The overlook and visitor center is closed indefinitely following a 2013 landslide. Phone for further updates.