Christiansted National Historic Site covers three city blocks along the waterfront and town square. The 7-acre (3-hectare) site includes such landmarks of the Danish colonial period as Fort Christiansvaern (1738), the best preserved of the five remaining Danish forts in the Virgin Islands; the Old Scalehouse; the Old Danish Customs House; the Danish West India & Guinea Co. Warehouse; and the Government House, once capitol of the Danish West Indies.
The Steeple Building, St. Croix's first Lutheran church, houses a museum with Arawak and Carib Indian relics.
A self-guiding tour brochure is available from the National Park Service headquarters; caution is advised on the area's uneven sidewalks and stairs.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted.