AAA Editor Notes
Christ Church (Anglican) is at 118 N. Washington St. near Columbus and Cameron sts. Built 1767-73, this Georgian-style brick church, with a Palladian chancel window unusual for its time, is in nearly original condition.
George Washington purchased Pew 60 for 36 pounds and 10 shillings when the church first opened, and he regularly attended services. Robert E. Lee, who also attended services regularly, was confirmed in the church in 1853. The cut-glass chandelier, under the gallery, represents one of the most advanced types of lighting fixtures available in the early 19th century.