Historic Smithfield is w. off US 460 bypass exit to US 314, on the edge of the Virginia Tech campus at 1000 Smithfield Plantation Rd. This 1774 house was built by noted surveyor and patriot Col. William Preston and named for his wife, Susanna Smith. The original frame house was the birthplace of two Virginia governors and the home of a third. The 1,900-acre farmstead was one of the earliest and largest estates west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. A demonstration kitchen garden and heirloom orchard are on the grounds. Blacksmith demonstrations at an active forge are given during special events.
Guided tours are available.