Berkeley Plantation is 6.5 mi. w. on SR 5, then 1 mi. s. to 12602 Harrison Landing Rd. The 1726 Georgian mansion is the birthplace of both Benjamin Harrison V, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and William Henry Harrison, ninth U.S. president. “Taps” was composed here while Gen. George McClellan used Berkeley as a Civil War headquarters.
The grounds feature five terraces that contain restored boxwood and flower gardens along the James River. Costumed guides lead tours.