Mary Washington Monument and Grave is on Washington Ave. at the end of Pitt St. The first president’s mother was buried here in 1789. Andrew Jackson laid the cornerstone for a marble monument to “the Mother of Washington” in 1833. It was never completed, and during the bombardment of Fredericksburg in 1862 it was scarred badly by shellfire. In 1894 President Grover Cleveland dedicated the present marker, a 40-foot granite obelisk.