AAA Editor Notes
Grant’s Headquarters at City Point is at Cedar Ln. and Pecan Ave. Eight miles behind Union lines, City Point served as Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s command post during the siege of Petersburg and was the location of one of the largest supply bases of the Civil War. The unit is part of Petersburg National Battlefield.
The visitor contact station is in a 1763 plantation house owned by the Eppes family for about 215 years. During the siege of Petersburg, the home served as headquarters for Quartermaster General Rufus Ingalls. When Grant arrived on June 15, 1864, he set up a tent on the east lawn. A cabin was later built for Grant, who directed the Union war effort here until April 2, 1865. President Abraham Lincoln visited City Point twice and spent 2 of the last 3 weeks of his life here.