Lee Chapel & Museum is at 100 N. Jefferson St. on the historic front campus of Washington and Lee University. Built in 1868 under Gen. Robert E. Lee’s supervision, the Victorian-style chapel is the heart of the campus. It preserves Lee’s office much as he left it on Sept. 28, 1870, only 2 weeks before his death.
The 1904 Theodore Pine portrait of the Confederate leader and Charles Willson Peale's 1772 portrait of George Washington hang in the chapel. At its far end stands Edward Valentine’s recumbent statue of Lee. The general and his family are buried beneath the chapel on the museum level. The museum traces the history of the university, focusing on the heritage of its namesakes.