AAA Editor Notes
Pohick Church (Episcopal) is 2 mi. s.w. on US 1 at 9301 Richmond Hwy. This was the Colonial parish church of Mount Vernon, Gunston Hall and Belvoir. George Washington chose the site and served as vestryman for 23 years. George Mason, a vestryman for 37 years, served on the building committee.
During the Civil War the original 1774 interior was torn out by Union troops and the building was used as a stable. The building was restored 1902-17. The old stone baptismal font was found many years later serving as a trough in a nearby farmyard.
Guided tours are available.