AAA Editor Notes
Old City Cemetery Museums and Arboretum is at 401 Taylor St. Established in 1806, the 27-acre “grave garden” is noted for its antique rose and daffodil collections and an arboretum of more than 100 tree varieties. The Confederate section contains the graves of 2,200 Civil War soldiers. The Chapel and Columbarium, Mourning, Station House, Pest House Medical, and Hearse House and Caretakers’ museums on the grounds interpret local history and funeral customs. Pest House stands on the site of Lynchburg’s first hospital and house of quarantine.
Guided cemetery tours are available by appointment, as are interior tours of the Chapel and Columbarium, Station House, Pest House Medical, and Hearse House and Caretakers' museums. Brochures for self-guiding tours are available at the gate.
Guided tours are available.