AAA Editor Notes
The Valentine is at 1015 E. Clay St. in the Court End district. The museum’s founder, Mann S. Valentine Jr., bequeathed his personal collection of art and artifacts to the city in 1892, along with ownership of the 1812 John Wickham House. With its focus on the history of Richmond and the people who shaped it, the history center offers changing exhibits, tours and a research library.
Displays include decorative and industrial arts, paintings, prints, manuscripts and books. Complementing these artifacts are more than half a million photographs of the city and the surrounding area. The museum also features a dynamic new permanent exhibition documenting the city’s history entitled This is Richmond, Virginia.
The Wickham House was built by John and Elizabeth Wickham, one of Richmond’s wealthiest couples, in 1812. Guided tours of the house address the lives of numerous residents, black and white, including the Wickhams’ many children and enslaved servants. The elegant house, with its magnificent freestanding stairway, rare neoclassical wall paintings and carved ornamentation, typifies late Federal architecture.
Guided tours are available.