Smith’s Fort Plantation is across the river from Jamestown on SR 31 (Rolfe Hwy.), about 2 mi. from the ferry. Capt. John Smith built a fort on this site in 1609. The house was built in the 18th century on land that Chief Powhatan gave John Rolfe when Rolfe married Powhatan's daughter Pocahontas. A footpath leads to the original fort site.