Abingdon Episcopal Church is just n. of the Coleman Bridge on US 17 at 4645 George Washington Memorial Hwy. The first house of worship on this site was built about 1655 on land donated by Col. Augustine Warner, maternal grandfather of George Washington. The present brick structure, dating from 1755, is considered one of the largest Colonial churches in Virginia. It was used as a Union hospital during the Civil War, and many soldiers are buried in the surrounding cemetery.
Guided tours are available.