AAA Editor Notes
Middle Village-Station Camp, 2 mi. e. on US 101, is a unit of Lewis and Clark National Historical Park. Used as a seasonal trading center by Chinookan peoples for thousands of years, this location on the Lower Columbia River became one of the first post-contact trading sites in the region; members of the Lewis and Clark expedition camped here in November 1805. By the mid-19th century a fish cannery and a Roman Catholic mission formed the nucleus of McGowan; the 1906 St. Mary's Church is all that remains of the one-time settlement.
A quarter-mile walking path features interpretive exhibits describing the history of the site.