AAA Editor Notes
St. Edward State Park, 1.5 mi. s. of SR 522 via 99th Ave. to 14445 Juanita Dr. N.E., occupies a wooded and hilly 316-acre site beside Lake Washington. Native Americans once used the area for fishing. From 1931 to 1976 the Roman Catholic Sulpician Order operated a seminary here, and the brick buildings set amid expansive lawns are an architectural highlight. The Grotto, a secluded garden alcove, is a serene spot to relax.
Thirteen trails lace the park, several of them leading through a forest of firs, cedars and moss-draped maples down to the 3,000-foot lakefront, the longest undeveloped shoreline on Lake Washington. Raccoons, squirrels, otters, muskrats, ducks, eagles, herons, jays, owls and woodpeckers are among the resident wildlife.
One of the best hiking spots in the greater Seattle area, St. Edwards also is popular with mountain bikers. Trail maps can be picked up at the park ranger station in the former seminary gymnasium.
Picnicking is permitted.