Seward Park is at 5900 Lake Washington Blvd. S. This 300-acre park occupies all of the Bailey Peninsula, a forested finger of land jutting out from the southwestern shore of Lake Washington. The city bought the peninsula in 1911 and named it after William H. Seward, the former U.S. secretary of state responsible for the Alaska Purchase. The peninsula was an island before the Montlake cut of the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed in 1916, which lowered the lake level by about 9 feet.
There are nearly 6 miles of trails. The flat, 2.4-mile paved loop trail that follows the shoreline is popular with walkers and cyclists. The northern two-thirds of the peninsula is cloaked with old growth forest of Douglas fir, western red cedar, western hemlock, big-leaf maple and madrona; forest trails provide occasionally rugged but beautifully serene hiking opportunities. Also on the park grounds are a native plant garden, an amphitheater, an art studio, a play area and the Seward Park Environmental & Audubon Center.
Picnicking is permitted.