University of Washington occupies a 639-acre campus on 15th Ave. N.E. between Portage Bay and N.E. 45th St. With more than 46,000 students, UW is one of the country's largest single-campus schools. In 1909 the university hosted the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition; its legacy is today's beautifully landscaped campus. The Rainier Vista promenade, centered on Drumheller Fountain, is aligned to provide a perspective of Mt. Rainier.
Red Square, named for its brick pavement, is the heart of the campus. Extending northeast from this square is The Quad, a shaded promenade flanked by Collegiate Gothic-style brick buildings. The dramatic facade of Suzzallo Library forms the square's east flank. It's the largest of UW's more than two dozen libraries, which collectively contain more than 6.5 million volumes and 7.5 million microforms.
The University of Washington Visitors Center is on the basement level of the Odegaard Undergraduate Library. Seventy-five-minute campus tours depart from the Admissions Welcome Center (room 106 in the Husky Union Building, 4001 E. Stevens Way N.E.).