Gonzaga University, 502 E. Boone Ave., 4 blks. e. of US 2/395, occupies a 131-acre landscaped campus along the Spokane River on the northeast edge of downtown. The university traces its origins to 1883, when Father Joseph M. Cataldo established a Native American boarding school for boys at the site. Named for the 16th-century Italian Jesuit saint Aloysius Gonzaga, patron of youth, it is the largest institute of private learning in the inland Northwest. Gonzaga's law school in one of only three in Washington.
St. Aloysius Church, with its twin steeples, is a campus landmark. The interior features oak woodwork, Italian marble, stained-glass windows and an authentic pipe organ with 37 ranks of keys. Just east of the church is College Hall, a four-story brick building erected in 1898. The Foley Center Library's Cowles Rare Book Room contains a collection of tomes up to 600 years old.