Tacoma Narrows Bridge is where SR 16 crosses over Tacoma Narrows, connecting Tacoma with Gig Harbor. The bridge, one of the largest suspension bridges in the world, has a center span that is 188 feet high and 2,800 feet long. The present bridge opened in 1950, replacing “Galloping Gertie,” a design failure nicknamed for the way it swayed in the wind. It broke apart in a windstorm 4 months and 7 days after it opened in 1940.
A second parallel span just south of the bridge opened in 2007. Narrows Park, south of the west end of the bridge via Lucille Parkway N.W., offers a view of the channel and the two spans.