AAA Editor Notes
St. Francis Xavier Mission, 2 mi. n.e. on Jackson Hwy., then .2 mi. s.e. at 139 Spencer Rd., was founded in 1838 by fathers Blanchet and Demers. It is the site of the first Catholic church in the state and one of the oldest missions in the Northwest. The original building burned in the late 1890s, but a historic cemetery is on the grounds. A replica of a 19th-century Catholic ladder, a totemlike teaching tool, is displayed near the cemetery.