AAA Editor Notes
Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters Historic Site is 2 mi. e. to 1824 SR 33. One of the oldest homes in Wisconsin still standing on its original foundation, the early 1800s French Colonial log building was erected by Francis LeRoi, a fur trader and portaging businessman. Acquired by the U.S. Army in 1828, it housed the fort surgeons 1834-1848. A fire in 1856 destroyed much of the fort, but the surgeons' quarters remains. Exhibits include period furnishings, original fort artifacts, and medical and dental equipment. The site also includes the Garrison School, a one-room schoolhouse used continually 1848-1960.
Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.