AAA Editor Notes
Hermitage of Santa Isabel (Ermita de Santa Isabel) is s. of Plaza de la Independencia at calles 66 and 77. It was built in 1748 as part of a Jesuit monastery. During Spanish colonial days it became known as the Convent of Safe Travel, since travelers on their way to the busy port of Campeche would stop to pray for a safe journey. Behind the restored hermitage is a serene, pretty garden accented with Mayan and Toltec statues and a waterfall.