AAA Editor Notes
Montejo House (Casa de Montejo) is on Calle 63 (s. side of Plaza de la Independencia). It was built in 1549 by the son of Francisco de Montejo, the Yucatán conqueror. Montejo the Younger employed Indian labor to create the richly ornamented facade and doors, fine examples of Plateresque decoration. A reminder of Spanish cruelty are the carvings of conquistadores with feet firmly planted on top of wailing Mayan heads. This restored family home now houses a Banamex Bank branch with a huge, lushly landscaped patio. There's also a small museum.