Our Lady of Guadalupe Convent (Convento de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe) is about 7 km (4 mi.) s.e. of Zacatecas via Mex. 45/49, in the town of Guadalupe. Local Ruta 13 buses depart regularly for Guadalupe from the corner of Calle Salazar and Blvd. López Mateos, near the old bus terminal in downtown Zacatecas.
This enormous convent and baroque church dates from 1707 and once housed Franciscan monks. Rows of corridors lined with paintings and portraits pass cells where the monks spent their time when not ministering to the Indians. Especially noteworthy is the church's Chapel (Capilla de Nápoles), which has a domed roof covered with beautiful gold leaf and a parquet floor elaborately inlaid with zodiac signs and scriptures. It is not always open, so a tip for the guide who grants entrance is appreciated.