Planning to rent a car and venturing out into the world on your own? Plan to obtain an International Driving Permit before you go.
Why Carry an IDP?
Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and
driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.
Another country cannot issue an IDP to be used in conjunction with a US driver’s license. An IDP accompaning a US driver’s license can only be issued in the USA. See ALREADY OVERSEAS
Many countries requires require an IDP to drive legally. Fines for driving without an IDP can be quite costly. Check countries requirements before travel.
An IDP gives you peace of mind while you're out exploring the world - even if you're not planning to drive!
* International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six (6) months in advance of desired effective date.
**Contact the AAA branch office directly to verify IDP Services is available.
How to Apply?
AAA is one of only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue an IDP.*
You will need to provide:
- Download and fill out an application, and bring it to your nearest AAA branch office**.
- Two original passport pictures (also available at AAA branch offices**).
- A valid U.S. driver's license.
- Pay $20USD permit fee and you're ready to go!
If you are not able to visit your nearest AAA branch office, your IDP can be obtained through the mail. Simply enclose the following and mail them to the AAA office nearest you (check locally for payment options):