General Travel Information for Incoming International Travelers
Table of Contents
Services for International Automobile Club Members Visiting the United States
AAA paper maps, AAA TourBooks, and AAA Travel products, services and accessories are available for purchase in AAA Club offices for FIA or GMA member clubs.
Emergency Roadside Assistance

If visiting for 90 days or less, you are entitled to BASIC Emergency Roadside Assistance to include:

    • Towing an eligible vehicle at least three (3) miles in any direction from point of disablement, or back to the responding facility, free of charge. Additional mileage charges will be at the member’s expense and will not exceed prevailing rates of the region. Towing shall be provided for light-duty trailers, excluding fifth wheel trailers, being towed at the time of disablement. At the Club’s discretion, members may be required to pay for towing the trailer.
    • The vehicle will be extricated or winched when it can be safely reached from a normally traveled road or established thoroughfare. If special equipment, more than one truck, or more than one person is required, the associated cost may be at the member’s expense.
    • Charges for flatbed service requested by members, when not required by the AAA Towing Manual, may be passed on to the member. Flatbed service charges are not applicable if a flatbed is required due to accident damage or if it is the contractor’s primary service vehicle. 
    • Mobile battery service/jump starting and/or temporary adjustments. 
    • Flat tire service including changing a flat tire when an inflated, serviceable spare is available. 
    • A limited supply of fuel will be delivered to a member’s disabled vehicle, enabling the member to reach the nearest service station. Members may be charged up to the current pump price for the fuel.
    • Lockout and key service; If the key that operates or provides access to the passenger compartment of the vehicle is lost, broken, or the service provider cannot gain entry, the Club shall provide locksmith service up to $50, or reimbursement of commercial locksmith service up to $50.  If necessary, the Club also will provide tow service.  Members are entitled to up to $50 worth of locksmith service at the scene, exclusive of any charges for en-route mileage. 
Contact Information

The phone number for AAA’s Emergency Road Service is 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357) within the U.S. or Canada only. Your service call will be routed to the appropriate territory based on where the call is coming from where you are located. You must have your current home club membership card with you at all times in order to obtain services from AAA.

Locating a AAA Office
To locate a AAA office, please check the business section of the local phone directory or call 411 information and request the phone number for the AAA office closest to your location. If needed, please visit an AAA office for the services of a professional travel counselor, or to take advantage of the member discounted travel products available at auto travel stores located in most AAA offices. [back to top]
Global Discounts Program
Savings are also extended to members of all international SYC&S® and SYC!® clubs.
The program offers savings in the United States & Canada as well as various countries around the world. . [back to top]
Booking Hotels & Hertz Rental Cars
The following hotel brands are full participants in the global discunts program with over 8,400 locations across North America and offer the following:
  • AAA Inspected and Approved Properties
  • Everyday member discounts with no need to "pre-pay" for your room (advanced reservations recommended)
  • Additional Special Offers and DIscounts Available Seasonally
  • Satisfaction Guaranteed through the AAA Assured Stay®
- Best Western - Conrad
- Doubletree
- Embassy Suites
- Hampton
- Hilton
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Hilton Grand
- Homewood Suites
- Waldorf Astoria
- Andaz
- Grand Hyatt
- Hyatt Place
- Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Summerfield
- Park Hyatt
- Courtyard
- Fairfield
- JW Marriott
- Marriott
- Renaissance
- Residence
- Ritz-Carlton
- SpringHill Suites
- TownePlace
- Aloft
- Element
- FourPoints
- Le Meridien
- Luxury Collection
- Sheraton
- St. Regis
- W Hotels
- Westin
To make your reservation, use any of the following sites to view rates and availablility based on your preference: To make a reservation by telephone, dial the U.S. calling code from your country and then dial +1-866-222-7283. Call are toll free within the United States.
Please present your membership card at check-in.
Hotel brands not listed above do not participate in the Show Your Card & Save or the Show Your Card programs. [back to top]
International Driving Permit
If you are planning to drive a rental or personal vehicle, you must obtain an (International Driving Permit) before coming to the United States or Canada. IDPs are a recognized translation of the legal driverís license and at all times must be accompanied by your current, valid driver's license from your home country.  The IDP is another proof of identification that is an inexpensive and easily obtained from either your home club or the local government agency responsible for issuing these documents. All holders of valid, current American licenses can visit any AAA office to obtain an IDP. Follow this link for more detailed information on obtaining an International Driving Permit. [back to top]

Auto Insurance for International Travelers

AAA does not offer auto insurance for international visitors. Travel Guard, a member company of AIG, may be able to provide auto insurance for international travelers.

Travel Guard

AIG Property Casualty
2929 Allen Parkway, 14th Floor
Houston, TX 77019
Tel: 1-877-708-6995 or 1-817-826-7120


Disabled Parking Permit Usage in the United States

AAA recommends that disabled drivers from other countries driving in the United States, who need the use of designated parking spaces, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in their destination state. Contact information for state DMV offices is available by accessing the AAA Digest of Motor Laws.

Additional resources:

U.S. Department of Transportation (
Department of Motor Vehicles (
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (

Purchasing a Vehicle to Export

Follow this link to find information pertaining to the purchase of vehicles in the United States. The United States Federal Government is responsible for any legal documentation for the purchase, registry or insurance of a vehicle by a non-US citizen in the United States. You can find specific information/requirements at the following websites:;; or

Additional International Travel Resources
If you need additional information, please contact AAA International Relations
If you are a AAA member, click here