Home / Pet Travel Tips / Traveling Between the United States and Canada When You Have a Pet

Traveling Between the United States and Canada When You Have a Pet

Traveling Between the United States and Canada When You Have a Pet

Traveling across the international border with your pet—either from the United States into Canada or from Canada into the United States—should prove largely hassle-free, although some basic regulations need to be kept in mind, including if you are using international flights instead of driving. All U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling for vacation between the United States and Canada are required to show a passport or other accepted secure document. For additional information about secure documents visit www.travel.state.gov or phone (877) 487-2778.

Traveling From the United States to Canada

U.S. citizens taking pet cats and dogs 3 months of age and older into Canada must carry a rabies vaccination certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian that describes the animal, provides proof of rabies vaccination and includes documentation of the product name, lot number and lot expiration date. Collar tags are not sufficient proof of immunization. The certificate also is needed to bring a pet dog back into the United States; make sure the vaccination doesn't expire while you're in Canada. Note: Pit bulls are not permitted to be taken into Ontario.

Vacation and International Flights with Service Animals or Young Animals

Service animals are exempt from import restrictions. Also exempt are puppies and kittens under 3 months old; obtain a certificate of health from your veterinarian indicating that the animal is too young to vaccinate. Note: For details on pet imports, including on international flights, contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA); phone (800) 442-2342 or visit the Web site at www.inspection.gc.ca. If you need assistance while in Canada, contact the Embassy of the United States of America, 490 Sussex Dr., Ottawa, ON, Canada K1N 1G8; phone (613) 688-5335.

Traveling From Canada to the United States

Canadian travelers who plan to vacation in the United States may take pet cats and dogs into the country with no restrictions, but U.S. Customs requires that dogs have proof of rabies vaccination no less than 30 days before arrival. For additional information on U.S. regulations, contact the USDA-APHIS National Center for Import & Export, (301) 734-8364.