DescriptionFort Defiance lies at the mouth of Canyon Bonito, or Blue Canyon, in the Navajo Nation Reservation. In some places sheer walls overhang the canyon floor. Established in 1851, Fort Defiance saw action in the Navajo wars that occurred during the 1860s. For many years it has been the headquarters of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Fort Defiance Agency.
Navajos on the reservation maintain much of their traditional way of life. They engage in agriculture, stock raising, employment on the reservation and seasonal off-reservation work. Many still dwell in hogans, circular log and earth huts. Distinctive Navajo blankets, rugs and silver and turquoise jewelry are crafted.