DescriptionAlthough Sandusky was explored by Robert LaSalle in 1679 and visited by English trader George Croghan in 1760, it was not until 1816 that the town was settled. Its location on Sandusky Bay, a natural harbor on Lake Erie formed by the Cedar Point and Marblehead peninsulas, quickly made it a major center of shipping and industry. It is one of the largest coal-shipping ports on the Great Lakes.
Sandusky still has time for relaxation; its lakeside resorts, abundant fishing opportunities and access to Lake Erie's islands make it a popular summer vacation spot.
InfoOfficeLake Erie Shores & Islands Welcome Center—East 216 E. Water St. Sandusky, OH 44870. Phone:(419)625-2984 or (800)255-3743
ShoppingOff the Ohio Turnpike exit 118 on US 250 is Sandusky Mall; department stores include JCPenney and T.J. Maxx.
Attraction PlaceHoldersCastaway Bay