DescriptionWhen the last spike of the railroad was driven in 1914, the Grand Trunk Pacific Development Company offered land for sale. The decision of where to put the new settlement in the wilderness was decided by Herbert Vanderhoof, a railroad employee, and a town was built in just a few weeks. The site, unfortunately, was a poor choice, as the land flooded every spring. In 1919 the townspeople moved to higher ground on the opposite side of the tracks.
Mr. Vanderhoof's legacy to the town is its name, Dutch for “of the farm.” The name is fitting, as farming has always been an economic mainstay in the area.
InfoOfficeVanderhoof District Chamber of Commerce 2353 Burrard Ave. Vanderhoof, BC V0J 3A0. Phone:(250)567-2124 or (800)752-4094
Attraction PlaceHoldersVanderhoof Community Museum