Carter House and Museum is at 34 Southside Rd. on the former U.S. Navy base. One of the vicinity's oldest buildings, the former dwelling features original cedar beams and two limestone-flanked open fireplaces. Two floors display various items relating to the history of whaling, boat building and farming, while native trees and plants surround the restored 17th-century stone structure. Also on the grounds is a replica circa 1612 settler's dwelling.