Larkin House and Garden is at Pacific and Jefferson sts., within Monterey State Historic Park. The house's combination of Mexican Colonial and New England architectural features reflects the New England origins of its builder, merchant Thomas Oliver Larkin. The 1835 two-story adobe house served as the American consulate from 1843 to 1846.
The rooms contain early 19th-century antiques from many parts of the world as well as a number of notable 18th-century American-made furniture pieces. The garden was planted by Larkin's granddaughter. Tours include the adjacent Sherman Quarters.