Yale University visitor center is at 149 Elm St. Founded in 1701 as the Collegiate School, the university moved in 1716 to New Haven, where it was renamed in honor of its benefactor, Elihu Yale.
The first degree of doctor of philosophy in the country was conferred here in 1861. The School of Fine Arts, the first of its kind at any university, was established in 1869. The School of Forestry began in 1900 and is the country's oldest in continuous operation.
Of the school's ivy-covered buildings, 1752 Connecticut Hall is the oldest. Nathan Hale lived and studied here. The Memorial Quadrangle, a block of Gothic-style dormitories, contains both the 216-foot Harkness Tower and the Wrexham Tower, a duplicate of the cathedral tower in Wrexham, Wales.
On Tower Parkway is the Payne Whitney Gymnasium, one of the largest buildings in the world devoted exclusively to sports and physical training. About 1,000 sporting prints from the Garvan Collection are in the gymnasium. Yale Bowl and Athletic Fields are on Derby Avenue. Guided tours of the campus start at the visitor center.
Ratings and Reviews are the subjective opinion of individual consumers, travel agents or travel counselors and not the opinion of the American Automobile Association ”AAA” or AAA Clubs. Neither AAA nor AAA Clubs shall be held liable for any damages resulting from display or use of these ratings or reviews.