AAA Editor Notes
Davenport House is on Columbia Square at 324 E. State St. Master builder Isaiah Davenport finished his Federal-style home in 1820. The finely proportioned house is noted for its historically accurate interiors, delicate ironwork, elliptical stairway and handsome plasterwork. Guides emphasize daily life of the Davenport household in the 1820s and the role the house played in ushering in the historic preservation movement in the 20th century. The building was saved from demolition in 1955 by seven women who went on to form the Historic Savannah Foundation—one of the earliest preservation movements in the United States.
Guided tours are available.