Wormsloe State Historic Site, 10 mi. s.e. at 7601 Skidaway Rd. on the Isle of Hope, was established in 1736 by Noble Jones, one of 114 colonists who came to Georgia with Gen. James E. Oglethorpe. The vestiges of his fortified tabby house, constructed 1739-45, are all that remain architecturally in Savannah of Georgia's first decade. A 1.5-mile oak-lined avenue leads to the plantation’s ruins.
A museum presents excavated artifacts and an audiovisual show about early settlement in Georgia. This scenic site also has nature trails, a re-created homesite, a blacksmith area and a living-history area. Interpreters dressed in period costumes demonstrate colonial crafts some mornings and afternoons.
Guided tours are available (staffing and weather permitting).
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.